Gun Lawyer Cherry Hill NJ
Cherry Hill, NJ Gun, Firearms & Weapons Laws-What You Should Know
If you have been charged with a gun, firearm or weapon offense in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, it is important to have an experienced criminal defense attorney by your side. The consequences of a conviction can be serious and may include prison time, huge fines and a long-term rap sheet.
At Evan Nappen, we understand the seriousness of these charges and we will strongly defend your rights. Over the years, we have successfully defended many clients charged with a wide range of weapon, guns and weapons offenses.
What is the Cost of Owning a Weapon in Cherry Hill, NJ?
It can cost anywhere from $200 to $1,000 to buy a gun in Cherry Hill, NJ. The price will depend upon the type of gun that you intend to purchase and where you buy it from.
To legally own a gun in New Jersey, you must have a firearms ID card. You can request one at your local police department. The application fee is normally $5. Before receiving the firearms ID, you will first have to pass a criminal background check and a psychological health assessment.
What Are the Penalties for Violating New Jersey’s Weapon Laws?
The penalties for breaching New Jersey’s weapon laws can be severe. If you are convicted of unlawful ownership of a weapon, you could face up to ten years in prison and a fine of about $150,000. Carrying a weapon without a license can attract up to 18 months in prison time and a fine of up to $10,000.
If you use a weapon during the commission of a criminal offense, you could face an additional 5-10 years in prison.
What Are the Most Commonly Charged Gun Offenses in Cherry Hill, NJ?
The most commonly charged gun offenses in Cherry Hill, NJ are:
- Unlawful Possession of a Weapon - This is the most common gun offense in New Jersey. It is a felony offense to possess a weapon without a firearms ID card.
- Carrying a Weapon Without a License - It is unlawful to carry a weapon in New Jersey without a permit. This includes carrying a gun in your vehicle, truck, or on your person. If you are arrested by law enforcement while carrying a weapon without a license, they could charge you with a crime.
- Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose - It is a crime to possess a weapon if you intend to use it unlawfully. This includes using the weapon to facilitate a crime or to threaten someone.
- Unlawful Discharge of a Weapon - It is prohibited to fire a weapon in New Jersey without a permit. If you are caught firing a gun, you will be arrested and charged with a crime.
What Are the Defenses to Gun Charges in Cherry Hill, NJ?
There are several defenses that we can use to challenge weapon charges in New Jersey. These include:
- Illegal Search and Seizure - If law enforcement authorities illegally searched your house, cars or trucks without a warrant, any proof that they find cannot be used as evidence in the courts.
- Self-Defense - You may claim self-defense if you used a weapon to protect yourself or somebody else from harm.
- Mistake of Fact - You may avoid a conviction if you can be able to prove that you did not know the gun was illegal.
If you’ve been charged with a gun, firearms or weapons offense in New Jersey, reach out to an experienced criminal defense attorney. At the Law Office of Evan Nappen, we will aggressively safeguard your rights and work relentlessly to get the best possible outcome in your case. Contact a gun lawyer in Cherry Hill NJ, Evan Nappen. Call (732) 389-8888.