Gun Lawyer in Toms River NJ
Gun, Firearms & Weapons Charges Attorney in Toms River NJ
Are you considering buying a firearm in Tom River New Jersey? If you’re a prospective gun owner in NJ, it’s crucial to know the state’s gun laws, that are often updating and changing, and are known to be some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Here are the basics that you should know when determining what’s expected of you by the state.
What you’ll need to become a first-time gun owner:
- First, you’ll need to get your fingerprints taken.
- Then you’ll need to apply for a lifetime firearm permit in Elizabeth NJ
- An additional permit is required for every handgun purchase made, and you can only purchase one gun per month.
- Two references from people you know (but not relatives) who will write a recommendation, saying they believe you to be a responsible candidate for gun ownership.
- Complete form S.P. 66: Consent for Mental Health Records Search
To obtain those permits, you need to apply with your local police department or a station covering your municipality if you live in a municipality that is serviced by the NJ State Police.
Who can get disqualified from obtaining a license or permit?
One will be disqualified in following cases
- If they are under the age of 18 (for Gun Purchaser ID) or 21 (For permit to buy)
- If they have a conviction for a crime or a disorderly person offense involving domestic violence. This includes similar convictions received in other states.
- If they are considered to be a drug dependent person
- If they are subject to a restraining order
- If they have ever been confined for a mental disorder
Is it possible to have your Firearms Purchaser ID Card revoked after it’s already been issued?
Any citizen may request a hearing for revocation with the Superior Court of the county in which the card was issued. If the Court determines that the permit holder is no longer qualified to have access to firearms, the ID card will be revoked.
There are more reasons for a prospective gun owner to be disqualified, and more nuances to learn about, so make sure you consult with a lawyer specializing in Gun, Firearms & Weapons Charges Attorney in Elizabeth NJ such as Evan Nappen Law. We will help you determine if you qualify for a firearm permit in New Jersey, help you fill out all the forms correctly, and make sure you are well prepared to become a responsible gun owner.